"Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!" -Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Back to School...

This past Wednesday, Adam and I started back to school. I have to admit, it was pretty hard to get back into the swing of things (and I'm still trying to adjust), but I think this year is going to be a great year! Last year was the first year the Elementary students had Spanish, so this year I feel like they're starting off with more of a foundation...which makes it a little easier (and more fun) for me and for them! I am also teaching TK and K this year which is new, but they are so cute...I can't wait!

One day this past week I talked with my 6th graders how Spanish and the Great Commission are related. It was really neat because I could see their minds turning and really making the connection between the two. I told them that I looked up the word "commission" and found that it means things like, to give an order to, or someone granted authority to do a particular action.

The "Great" Commission (or great order) says that we (as Christians) should go and make disciples of all nations. God, who is over all authority gives us the power to be witnesses here on earth until He comes back. Today, we went to Adam's parent's church and we got to go to their Sunday School class. Adam's Dad taught their class today and he talked about this very thing. I thought it was really neat because it was pretty much the same thing I talked about with my class on Friday. He taught in Acts 2:1-14 and specifically in verse 8, it tells us that we are given the power when the Holy Spirit comes upon us to become witnesses not only to the world around us, but even to the people as close as our next door neighbors.

We all "know" we should be witnesses to the people around us, but how many of us are actually bold enough to act upon the "order" that we are given from God, himself? I know that I have been guilty many times, but all it takes is one sentence to hopefully change someone's destiny. I was looking over my service notes one Sunday where our pastor talked about our faith and witnessing to others, when the Lord put something on my heart. I wrote it down because I didn't want to forget it. Now, I'm not one of those people that say they "hear" God, but I do believe that He speaks to you many different ways and you should always have your ears and heart open to listen. Here's what He gave me...

"Don't let your insecurities get in the way of other people's need for Jesus".

In the words of my Pastor, "you have everything you need, to do everything God has called you to do". So...don't let the devil talk you out of speaking the truth to someone! Odds are, he probably will, so expect it, but don't give into it!

Anyway, that's my little word of encouragement to myself and to all of you! Thanks for reading! :)

No comments: