"Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!" -Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

Monday, December 8, 2008

Listen

Yesterday, our pastor started a new series, "Can You Hear?". You can go here to listen to week 1 of this series. Let me tell you, this past Sunday was amazing! Pastor preached on hearing the voice of the Lord and I've got a cool story!

If you know me at all, you would know that I have a lot of irrational fears. Fears like losing Adam, losing a family member, flying on planes, accidents, etc. All of those fears are uncontrollable by me. The only thing I can control about those fears is my perspective. I have had a very hard time over this issue and it's to the point where I get emotional if I start to think about these things.

Almost 2 years ago, Adam and I were on our honeymoon and it was the morning we were scheduled to leave to come home. I woke up that morning around 4:30 or 5ish because I was so nervous about flying home. It was driving me crazy! I finally went back to sleep and in the next couple of hours something amazing happened to me. I woke up around 7 completely in awe. I woke Adam up and told him what happened to me. It was during those 2 or so hours of sleep that I heard the Lord speak to me. I didn't hear Him audibly, but I know He spoke to me. These were His exact words..."Do not worry, for I have your life in my hands". I mean, come on people, how cool is that??

So, Adam and I got home ok, but I wasn't ok. You would ask yourself, "how is she not ok if she heard the Lord tell her very bluntly to not worry"? My fears were still getting the best of me. No matter what people told me or what I read, they were still there. It was until yesterday that I found my freedom.

Pastor preached on hearing the voice of the Lord. He gave the example of a signal booster and how people use them to get a better signal on their phones. He told us that he was going to be our "signal booster" from God today and that we needed to listen up. I truly believe the words that he speaks come directly from the Lord and here's why. Towards the end of the service, he told us to bow our heads and close our eyes and he was going to remind us of God's promises. Right then, I started to pray, "Lord speak to me about my fears". I kept saying that over and over.

The first promise he reminded us of was that God has forgiven us in Jesus Christ and that the record of our sin has been canceled. I kept saying, "Lord speak to me about my fears". The next promise he reminded us of was that God is a friend who sticks closer to us than a brother and that we should not feel lonley. He told us that He would never leave us or forsake us. I kept praying, "Lord speak to me about my fears". He then reminded us of His promise that before we were born He knew us by name and that what we do in life does matter. He said that each one of us are a unique contribution to this world. I kept praying, "Lord speak to me about my fears". It was then Pastor said the word "insecurities". He proceeded to tell us these exact words..."Your life is in His hands". WOW. That was God speaking to ME. Pastor reminded us that God is the lifter of my head and that nothing happens to me by accident. I don't have to walk in fear and in shame. His promise to me is that He loves me and that He created me, He promises me that He is with me, He goes ahead of me, walks behind me, stands beside me. My God loves me. He showed me my sin of fear and he took it away. Thank you Lord for freedom!

This past Sunday was amazing and I want to encourage you to open your ears and listen to what God has to tell you. You don't have to be reading your bible, or praying, or singing to hear from God. He meets you where you are and invites you to listen. Thank you Pastor Steven for being a signal booster and thank you Lord for your healing!

1 comment:

Candice of 'The Beautiful Mess' said...

That's really powerful, Elizabeth...you sharing your story has inspired me and has been a signal booster for me. Thanks for sharing.